On-boarding new members
When you first join the lab (ideally within the first few weeks), you will have a meeting with Leo to introduce lab protocols, set expectations, add you to communication channels, etc.
This is a checklist of things that we will cover during this induction meeting.
Leo’s to-do list
- Send invitation to the group chat room.
- Add to the lab GitHub organization.
Before your meeting
- Join the chat room and setup Element on your computer/tablet/phone.
- Create an account on GitHub.
- Send Leo a message with your GitHub username.
During the meeting
Go over key information about:
- The lab manual, expectations, and practices.
- The lab GitHub organization where all our research projects live.
- The lab website and how you can add yourself to it.
After your meeting
- Read the Code of Conduct carefully.
- Add yourself to the website (if you want). See the Contributing Guide for instructions.
- Go over the lab manual again on your own.
- Study the Software Carpentry lessons on Version Control with Git, Python, and the Unix Shell. They will be crucial for your project. Go over Git and the Unix Shell first.
- Explore the GitHub organization to see what the group is working on.
- Go and start making something brilliant!